Monday, June 24, 2013

A Woman of Comparing ~ Chasing History





Rachel and Leah

Playing, dreaming, whispering tales
Of husbands and children to come
Not knowing that one day a choice would be made
For the beauty over one

Their story is one that is intertwined as sisters and even more so because of the husband that they share.


Leah ~  Her name means "contented one."  

Now Laban had two daughters. The name of the older was Leah, and the name of the younger was Rachel.  Leah's eyes were weak, but Rachel was beautiful in form and appearance. ~Genesis 29:16

There are several translations and thoughts on this choice of "weak."  Some define it as delicate and soft.  Other translations say the word means  weary. Some scholars say that it means Leah had light blue or light colored eyes.

(Since my daughter shares this beautiful name, I tend to lean towards the delicate and soft camp.)

In any relationship, there can be an element of comparing.  It is not what God would choose, but it is part of our sinful nature.  And these sisters were no exception   And when your dad pulls one of the world's worst bride switches, it does not help.



Jacob loved Rachel. And he told her father that he would serve him for seven years for Rachel. Her father agreed.  So Jacob served seven years for Rachel, and they seemed to him "but a few days because of the love he had for her."

But on the night of their wedding, Jacob took his daughter, Leah, and brought her to Jacob, and he went in to her.  And in the morning he woke up to Leah by his side


"And Jacob said to Laban, “What is this you have done to me? Did I not serve with you for Rachel? Why then have you deceived me?” 26 Laban said, “It is not so done in our country, to give the younger before the firstborn. 27 Complete the week of this one, and we will give you the other also in return for serving me another seven years.” 28 Jacob did so, and completed her week. Then Laban gave him his daughter Rachel to be his wife.  Genesis 29:25-28


As if sisters needed more to compare...now a husband?

And isn't that just like us to compare?  I am blessed to have a sister that I adore and we are actually very close, but we have not always been as close as we are today.  I grew up in her shadow of good grades and a blemish free reputation.  I got good grades and I was grounded for things like not wearing my coat so it isn't as if I really acted out because of my comparing, but it was there.  It was always there.

And for Jacob, it was there.  But for Laban, it was not.  He knew what was right.  He knew the relationship of the family. And I pray that we, as women, can know our relationship to our Father.  Know it so true.  Feel it so deep. Live it so much, that we little by little stop comparing ourselves to... 

the mother who is on time for camp every.single.day.
the writer who has that bok published.
the friend who just got engaged.
the new mama whose baby is "normal"
the woman in the magazine. 
the neighbor who doesn't have to work.
...and even more that the Enemy wants us to notice.

Leah had delicate eyes and yet she was passed over for the beauty of another. There will be times when we are passed over. May we dive into our beauty that comes from Him and know we are His beloved and His chosen and may we rest on that sweet truth today.







Today I am joining some writers and dreamers that desire to dig deeper into His Story knowing that each detail of every story has a Truth to be remembered for it becomes a part of our lives. Join this sweet community at It Just Takes One to hear the story of Biblical Women and the stories they lived and we are living out even today.



  




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Girl, this was such encouragement to me today. I'm writing/sharing on Leah two weeks from today - I had to go ahead and write it over the weekend since I'm so busy with SLU for the next month. I *loved* seeing your perspective of the story. and the weird thing is - I almost hear it from Rachel's point of view (which makes her look great). So I focused on Leah instead. Love that you did, too! Oh t know our relationship is safe, secure, and precious - not to be compared to anyone else. Thank you for this. Thank you.

Rebecca said...

To know we are His beloved and chosen.
Thank you for this beautiful message of truth. I don't think I have considered this from Leahs point of view and boy it is powerful.
Thanks!
Xo

Jess Elyse said...

Anytime we get overlooked is not fun. But remembering who we are in Christ should give us all the confidence in the world! I haven't thought of this story from the point of view of Leah either. It was a great fresh perspective! Thank you!

Post a Comment

ShareThis