Thursday, April 28, 2011

I Wanted To Do It First...It's a Mom Thing...

Okay, so it might not be a mom thing...In fact, I don't even think it's a woman thing. I think it's just a me thing.

The fact that I want to do (most) everything with my kids first!

So here they are:





We went to The Grove Nature Center as a family because my daughter was going to go to the Grove the next day with her class for a field trip.

It doesn't matter that we had been there a couple years earlier. She didn't remember it, so I wanted to take her. Crazy, right? I know, and sometimes, I am fine with my children having experiences without me, but for this one, I couldn't help it.

I think that might have been one of the reasons I home schooled two of my children last year. I took pride in the fact that I was teaching them all about the world around them....first!

I loved it when we could make connections to what we were learning to everyday things that happened to us. And I still love that. With all my children in school, I do not get as many opportunities to make those connections all day long. In fact, God, in His humorous way, smashes that pride every time something comes up at school that I meant to teach my kids and they come home and share what they learned...a new poetry unit that I wanted to do with them last year, playing The Oregon Trail, and even tasting buttermilk! Well, at least homemade butter from reading The Little House in the Big Woods.

It is almost like each time that happens, God is reminding me that my kids are individual people created for His glory and not just for my enjoyment. They will experience so much in this life. And especially having four, if I feel the only time they can experience something is if I did it with them first, they will either miss out on a lot or I will be too exhausted to even enjoy it!

God cares for them in a bigger way than I ever could. I need to give them over to Him daily and realize that He has great things in store for them. Things I couldn't even plan. And when I do this, He will bless me and them!

As for this trip, He still chose to bless me. We had a wonderful time checking out the water scorpion, turtles, and even eating cornbread muffins on the porch.

We made memories and enjoyed a red robin moment. That time together was truly a gift from God.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above..." James 1:17

May you enjoy the gift of MOMents today!

Blessings,
Angie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis